Siirry pääsisältöön

Muistoja

Jätän hyvästejä. Lupaamme tavata vielä. Takana on niin uskomaton vuosi, ettei sitä osaa edes kuvailla niin, että joku toinen voisi täysin ymmärtää. "Who would've thought that we'd ride back to this campsite as Arctic Nature Guides," totesi eräs englantilainen cowboy. Niin. Kukapa olisi uskonut.

Viime päivinä on muisteltu paljon. 

I'm saying goodbyes. We promise to meet each other again. Last year has been too amazing to be successfully described to someone who has not experienced it himself."Who would've thought that we'd ride back to this campsite as Arctic Nature Guides," said the English cowboy. Yes. Who would've thought.

There has been a lot of reminiscing going on during the last few days. 



Muistan teltanpystytysvaikeuteni leirintäalueella. Muistan ensitapaamiseni muiden kanssa, kuinka Stian tuntui räjähtävän innosta, Niklas oli ujo ja Morten kyyninen. Muistan valaat vuonossa ja auringon, joka ei todella laskenut. Muistan aina pidemmältä ja pidemmältä tuntuneen kävelymatkan kylälle.

I remember my problems with pitching up the tent at the campground. I remember when I met the others for the very first time, how Stian seemed to explode out of pure excitement, how Niklas was shy and Morten was cynical. I remember the whales in the fjord and the sun that didn't set. I remember the walk to the town. It felt longer and longer each time.

Longyearbreen

Moraines of Longyearbreen

Muistan ensimmäisen koulupäivämme. Muistan meidän istuneen ympyrässä ja esitelleen itsemme lumihiutaleiden leijaillessa yllemme. Muistan epävarmuuden. Muistan kuuluisan joenylitykseni, jota Sigmundkaan ei kuulemma ikinä tule unohtamaan. Muistan Ceesin sanoneen Svalbardin olevan kuin olisi jollakin toisella planeetalla. Muistan ensimmäiset askeleeni jäätiköllä ja sen, miten vaikea jäärautoihin oli luottaa.

I remember our first day of school. I remember we sat in a circle and presented ourselves as big snowflakes were slowly hovering upon us. I remember uncertainty. I remember my famous river crossing that even Sigmund will never forget. I remember Cees saying that being on Svalbard is like being on a whole other planet. I remember my first steps on a glacier and how difficult it was to trust the crampons.


Larsbreen

Top of Sarkofagen

Muistan ensimmäisen retkeni Sarkofagenille, kuinka se tuntuikaan raskaalta. Muistan ihmetelleeni aasialaisia turisteja, jotka liukastelivat lenkkitossuissaan.

I remember my first trip to Sarkofagen, oh, how heavy it felt. I remember marveling at a couple of Asian tourists strutting around in their slippery jogging shoes.


Adventdalen

Niklas & huskies

Muistan ensimmäisen kerran koiratarhalla. Muistan sosiaaliset koirat, joita säälin. Muistan Adventdalenin auenneen kauniina eteemme. Muistan joka puolelle roiskuneen ravan.

I remember my first time at a dog yard. I remember the social dogs I felt a bit bad for. I remember beautiful Adventdalen opening up in front of us. I remember mud spraying all over us.



Barentsburg

Muistan aamun, jona sain kyydin taksikuskilta ja jona nukahdin merenrantaan. Muistan suuret aallot ja venematkan, joka nauratti ja jotakuta myös oksetti. Muistan, miltä huulille roiskunut merivesi maistui. Muistan Barentsburgin, joka vastasi mielikuvia Neuvostoliittolaisesta pikkukaupungista. Muistan syrjäisen Isfjord Radion, joka oli kuin keidas keskellä karua Arktista. Muistan ihailleeni punapartaista opastamme. Muistan Louisin, joka nukahti ja jonka pelastin putoamasta laidan yli.

I remember the morning when I got a ride from a nice taxi driver and fell asleep by the seashore. I remember big waves and the boat ride that made us laugh, but a guest to throw up. I remember what the splashes of seawater on my lips tasted like. I remember Barentsburg, which was just what you'd imagine a small town in the Soviet Union being like. I remember the remote Isfjord Radio, which seemed like an oasis in the middle of the barren Arctic. I remember admiring our red-bearded guide. I remember Louis falling asleep and me saving him from falling overboard.

The class in Bjørndalen

Anniken

Muistan lintuja ja kasveja, vaan en niiden nimiä.

I remember birds and plants, but not their names.


Morten, Alex & Ola the teacher

Alex, Ida & Sigmund


Muistan mahtavan Nordenskiöldbreenin. Muistan jään uskomattoman kauniin sinen ja kunnioitettavan jyrähtelyn. Muistan opettajamme Olan, joka näytti merimieheltä, mutta liikkui jäätiköllä jäärautoineen kuin vuoristovuohi jyrkillä rinteillä. Muistan haastavien reittien etsimisen vaikeuden ja yhden Alexin kuolemattomista elämänviisauksista: "If you can't have chocolate cake, you have to choose something else." Muistan oppitunnit maailman kauneimmassa luokkahuoneessa.

I remember the magnificent Nordenskiöldbreen. I remember the incredibly beautiful blue of the ice and the respectable rumble it made. I remember our teacher, Ola, who looked like a sailor and moved on the glacier like a mountain goat on the mountains. I remember how hard it was to follow a challenging route on the glacier and I remember Alex's wisdom of life (one of many): "If you can't have chocolate cake, you have to choose something else." I remember the lessons in the most beautiful classroom in the world.





Muistan pelastusharjoitukset ja sen, miten epätoivoinen olin kaikkien uusien solmujen ja varusteiden kanssa. Muistan, miten Morten roikkui köydessään ylösalaisin ja miten pelottavaa reunan yli käveleminen oli. Muistan, miten innoissaan pojat olivat helikopterista. "One day all eyes will be on you," muistan Sigmundin sanoneen. Muistan ensimmäisen Arktisen hiljaisuuden.

I remember our glacier rescue exercises and my despair with all the new knots and equipment. I remember Morten rappelling upside-down and how scary it was to actually walk over the edge. I remember how excited the boys were over the helicopter. I remember Sigmund saying: "One day all eyes will be on you." I remember our first Arctic silence.


Muistan elämäni ensimmäisen jääkarhuvahdin ja tuulen, jonka luulin vievän minut mukanaan.

I remember my first polar bear watch ever and the wind, that I thought, would fly me away.

Nybyen

Muistan parakki vitosen, jossa kukaan ei koskaan ollut yksinäinen. Muistan ruuhkat kuudentoista ihmisen jakamassa keittiössä ja muistan ensimmäiset juhlat, joiden jälkeen alakerran käytävän lattiat olivat täynnä hiustupsuja. Muistan Olan, joka perjantai-iltaisin lainasi pyörääni ja heräsi lauantaiaamuna aikaisin vain hakeakseen sen takaisin.

I remember barrack five, where nobody ever was lonely. I remember the overcrowded kitchen shared by sixteen people and I remember our first party after which the downstairs hallway was full of human hair. I remember Ola borrowing my bike on Friday nights and waking up early on the next morning just to go and get it back.


The Silent Hunter

Cees


Muistan päivän, jona jalkojeni piti olla väsyneet ja jona näyttelijänlahjojani testattiin. Päivän, joka oli ehkä hämmentävin Annikenin elämässä oppaana ikinä. Muistan kauniit maisemat Sukkertoppenilta ja Niklaksen typerät kysymykset.

I remember the day when my feet were supposed to be tired and when my abilities as an actress were being tested. The day, that might have been the most confusing one ever for Anniken as a guide. I remember the beautiful view from Sukkertoppen and Niklas's stupid questions.


Muistan lukuisat sateenkaaret. Muistan luokkahuoneemme ja joka-aamuisen kahvitarjoilun.

I remember the abundance of rainbows. I remember our classroom and coffee being served every morning.


Muistan, kun kiipesimme Nordenskiöldtoppenille ja kamerastani loppui akku. Muistan tuskallisen Tverrdalenin. Muistan Louisin pingviinitanssin, joka nauratti niin paljon, että kaikki kylmyys katosi kehosta. Muistan huipun, joka tuntui karkaavan aina vain kauemmas. Muistan nähneeni kauas kauniiseen maisemaan. Muistan tekemäni lumienkelin.

I remember when we climbed to Nordenskiöldtoppen and my camera ran out of batteries. I remember Tverrdalen being just horrible. I remember Louis's penguin dance, that made me laugh so much I wasn't cold at all anymore. I remember the top that seemed to move further and further away. I remember the breathtakingly beautiful view. I remember the angel I made in the snow.

Niklas


Muistan kahdeksan päivän vaelluksemme. Muistan ensimmäiset revontulet ja Stianin innostuksen. Muistan saamani lempinimet. Muistan laaksoja laaksojen jälkeen ja yhden suuren, jota ei näkynyt kartalla ja joka hämmensi meitä.

I remember our eight day hike. I remember the first northern lights and Stian's excitement. I remember the nicknames I got. I remember crossing valleys after valleys and one big one, that wasn't visible on the map and confused us.


HP

Muistan elämäni ehkä rankimman päivän. Muistan lounaan yhdessä Colesbayn hylätyistä taloista ja rannalla roskia polttaneet venäläiset. Muistan epätoivoisen joenylitysyrityksen ja suon, jossa tarvoimme. Muistan Annikenin kysymyksen siitä, miten erilaista miehelle on olla ryhmässä, jossa on myös naisia. Muistan HP:n nerokkaan vastauksen. "Girls can suck, but boys can suck too." Muistan tuskien taipaleen Fossildalenin halki ja helpotuksen tunteen, joka valtasi minut, kun nousimme Vesuvakslalle ja näimme auringonlaskun pilvien ylitse. Muistan kiipeämisen Vesuvfjellalle, jolta näköalat olivat sanoinkuvaamattoman hienot. Muistan sanoneeni, että jos menisin joskus naimisiin, haluaisin tehdä sen tällaisessa paikassa. Muistan laulut, joita lauloimme kulkiessamme.

I remember the day that was possibly the toughest day of my life. I remember having lunch in one of the abandoned buildings of Colesbay and I remember the Russians burning trash on the beach. I remember our desperate river crossing and the swamp we had to trudge through. I remember Anniken asking whether it is different for a guy to be in a group with girls. I remember HP's witty answer. "Girls can suck, but boys can suck too." I remember the misery of Fossildalen and the feeling of relief that surged through me as we reached Vesuvaksla and saw the sunshine over the clouds. I remember climbing Vesuvfjella, from which the views were absolutely magnificent. I remember saying, that if I was to ever get married, I would want to do it in a place like this. I remember the songs we sang as we went.

Hollanderbukta


Barentsburg

Muistan yön, jona luulin nähneeni jääkarhun. Muistan päivän, jona kävelimme Barentsburgiin ja joka tuntui vapaapäivältä, vaikka taitoimme yli kahdenkymmenen kilometrin matkan. Muistan utopistisuuden tunteen, jonka Barentsburgiin saapuminen herätti.

I remember the night I thought I saw a polar bear. I remember the day we walked into Barentsburg. Even if we walked over twenty kilometers, it felt like a day off. I remember the utopian feeling caused by arriving to Barentsburg.




Muistan Oppkuvenille kiipeämisen ja jalat, jotka eivät totelleet. Muistan hermostuneeni Niklakselle hänen tarjouduttuaan kantamaan minunkin rinkkani ylös. Muistan, miten huipulle päästyämme kaikki väsymys olikin yhtäkkiä sen arvoista.

I remember climbing up on Oppkuven and my feet, that would not do like I told them to do. I remember getting mad at Niklas after he offered to "just run up", leave his backpack, come down and take my backpack up as well. I remember how after we reached the top everything was worth it again.

Colesdalen

Muistan miten iloisia olimme huomattuamme joen jäätyneen. Muistan kivun polvissani ja turhautumisen, johon taisteluni telttatikkujen kanssa johti. Muistan miten iloinen olin katsoessani jäätiköltä alas Longyearbyeniin. Muistan miten hyvältä suihku tuntui ja kotiinkuljetettu pitsa maistui.

I remember how happy we were when we saw the river had frozen just enough to carry us over. I remember the pain in my knees and the frustration caused by my fight with the tent pegs. I remember how delighted I was as I saw Longyearbyen from the top of the glacier. I remember how good a shower felt and a pizza tasted.

Troll

Ida and a furry friend

Muistan kuinka rakastuin koiratarhalta löytyneeseen hurmuriin. Muistan ystävän vierailun. Muistan hurjia juhlia ja hyviä keskusteluita. Muistan kuinka parakkimme julistettiin asuinkelvottomaksi ja kannoimme tavaramme parakki ykköseen.

I remember how I fell in love with this charmer at a dog yard. I remember having a friend for a visit. I remember good parties and engaging discussions. I remember how our barrack was declared dangerous and we carried our stuff over to barrack one.


Nybyen


Gruve 2b

Muistan elämäni pelottavimman pyöräilymatkan. Muistan nopeasti pimenneet päivät ja voimakkaat tuulet. Muistan ukulelebändin ja perjantai-illan, joka oli meille syksyn viimeinen Longyearbyenissä. Muistan tyhjän parakin, jonka jätimme taaksemme.

I remember the most scary bicycle ride in my whole life. I remember the strong winds and the quickly fading daylight. I remember the ukulele band and our last Friday night of the autumn  in Longyearbyen. I remember the empty barrack we left behind.

Anniken

Muistan telttamajoituksen Altan yliopiston kampuksen viereisessä metsikössä. Muistan juttutuokiot ennen nukkumaanmenoa. Muistan pitkät päivät yliopiston kanttiinissa. Muistan luentoja, enemmän tai vähemmän mielenkiintoisia. Muistan Shakespearin puheen ja tarinankerrontaharjoituksen. Muistan miten minua meinasi itkettää jo joululomalle lähtiessäni.

I remember staying in a tepee in the woods next to the campus in Alta. I remember our chats before falling asleep. I remember long days in the university cantina. I remember lectures, interesting more or less. I remember the speech written by Shakespeare and the storytelling exercise. I remember how I almost cried just leaving for the Christmas break.

Longyearbyen in the middle of the day in February




Muistan telttasaunan meren rannalla. Muistan onnistuneen "Aurinkoleikit" -tapahtuman. Muistan hiihtoretken Sarkofagenille ja sen, miten sukseni tekivät mitä tahtoivat. Muistan lasten talvileirin ja jäätyneet tomaatit, jotka yhteen kolistessaan kuulostivat biljardipalloilta. Muistan kylmyyden ja auringon paluun.

I remember our tent sauna by the sea. I remember our successful "Sollekene" -event. I remember children's Camp Svalbard and the tomatoes that were frozen through and sounded like snooker balls. I remember the ski trip to Sarkofagen and my skis doing just whatever they wanted. I remember the cold and the return of the sun.

Ådne, HP & Ida

HP


Muistan ensimmäisen talviretkemme. Muistan lumiluolien kaivuun ja jääkarhuvahdin pimeässä. Muistan miten lahjakas olenkaan kaatumaan suksilla. Muistan turhautumiseni pulkan kanssa. Muistan kuumeen.

I remember our first winter excursion. I remember how it was to dig snow caves and to be the polar bear watch in the darkness of the night. I remember how gifted I am at falling on skis. I remember my frustration with my pulk. I remember the fever.


Muistan kauniit auringonlaskut ja sen, miten uskoimme, että Oscar II:n maassa aurinko paistaa aina.

I remember beautiful sunsets and how we believed, that the sun is always shining on Oscar II Land.

Reindalen

Torbjørn

Stian med sekken

Muistan hiihtoretkemme Sveaan. Muistan Slakbreenin kylmät yöt, joina nukuin untuvatakki päällä. Muistan hulvattoman pulkkailun Sveaa kohti ja sielueläimet, jotka nimesimme toisillemme. Muistan Torbjørnin unelman mökistä. Muistan helvetillisen ylämäen Gustavdalenin päässä ja pitkän, aurinkoisen lounastauon, jonka aikana yritimme arvailla, mitä taaksemme jääneille ryhmille mahtaa olla tapahtunut. Muistan uutiset tuulen viemästä teltasta. Muistan miten paljon suutuin typerälle pulkalleni ja muistan Bolterdalenin valkeuden.

I remember our ski trip to Svea. I remember the cold nights on Slakbreen, during which I slept with my down jacket on. I remember the hilarious tobogganing down towards Svea and the soul animals we appointed to each other. I remember Torbjørn's dream of a cabin in the Arctic. I remember the uphill from hell in the end of Gustavdalen and the long, sunny lunch break during which we tried to guess what had happened in the groups that were left behind us. I remember hearing the news of the tent taken by the wind on the previous night. I remember how angry I got at my pulka and I remember the whiteout in Bolterdalen.




Muistan moottorikelkkailun. Muistan miten nopeasti kevät hurahti työharjoittelussa ja näimme toisiamme lähinnä viikonloppuisin.

I remember snow mobiling. I remember how quickly spring passed by in our practice placement companies and we only saw each other during weekends.

Flinkur

Ja muistan niin paljon enemmän. Osa muistoista haalistuu, osa hymyilyttää vielä mummona kiikkustuolissa istuskellessakin. Haluan halata ja kiittää. Nähdään vielä joskus. <3

And I remember so much more. Some of the memories will fade, some will still make me smile as a grandma sitting in my rocking chair. I want to give you hugs and thank you. We'll see each other again some day. <3

Kommentit

  1. My dear lucky troll, that was perfect.
    Going to miss you so much up here!!!!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Aww, Stian, the year was perfect. I'm already missing the best things about living on Svalbard, the biggest of which are you guys!

      Poista

Lähetä kommentti

Kerro.